Towards a more automated and optimised maintenance, renewal and upgrade of roads by means of robotised technologies and intelligent decision support tools
The objective of OMICRON is to develop an Intelligent Asset Management Platform with a broad portfolio of area-specific innovative technologies to enhance the construction, maintenance, renewal and upgrade of the European road network. This project will improve the whole asset management pipeline focusing on four pillars:
- The implementation digital inspection technologies, including UAVs, terrestrial vehicles and the connection to C-ITS systems.
- The development of a road Digital Twin.
- The constitution of a Decision Support Tool for road infrastructures.
- The development of smart construction and intervention solutions for road infrastructures, making use of modular construction, robotics, VR or AR technologies.
OMICRON’s Intelligent Platform will be interconnected by a BIM-oriented Digital Twin linked to the Decision Support Tool, which will enable the industrialisation and automation of a number of road management tasks which currently still have a high labour component. OMICRON’s developments will address the entire road network system including pavement, bridges, tunnels, lighting or signalling systems.
These improvements will result in the following impact:
- An increase of the safety levels in road intervention actions, affecting both road users and personnel.
- An increase in the capacity of the road network.
- An overall improvement of the efficiency of road intervention processes.
- A subsequent reduction of maintenance costs.
The group of technologies developed in the project will be implemented in a virtual demo and four real demonstrators that belong to CEF corridors from two European countries: Spain and Italy. The technologies developed in OMICRON will achieve a TRL 7 after the demonstration phase.
The consortium is formed by 16 partners from 7 EU countries, including road managers and associations; emergency, routine and extraordinary maintenance contractors; civil engineering companies; smart solution developers; drones and robotics experts; research centres; universities; ICT developers and integrators; communication and dissemination managers; business model managers and innovation and project managers.
RÉGENS' role in the project
In the OMICRON project RÉGENS will be in charge of the data management developments and the front and back-end development of the tools and apps dedicated to the infrastructure manager. RÉGENS’s main activities are made up of the development and the implementation of the standardised APIs for the digital twin and decision support system and delivery of an instruction guide that will be used in the final demonstration.
The duration of the action will be 42 months as of 1 May 2021.
Horizon2020 Research and Innovation Programme of the EU (H2020)